Saturday, November 24, 2012

Low Key Black Friday Shopping

I stayed away from the malls.  I avoided the big box stores.  No midnight shopping.  No lines.  Instead I took a trip out to the boonies, to what has become one of my favorite little shops.  The Cinnamon Stick in Hereford, PA.  It is a pleasant hour-long drive, on back roads, to this quaint store.  You may know Judy and her shop through her blog thespicecupboard.  Here are some of the goodies I purchased for my home.

 Hooked penny Christmas tree pillow by Joanne McIlmurray.  I love Joanne's work.  You may know her blog here.  I made the quilt--one of the few I have made with reproduction fabrics.  It is a small scale version of an antique quilt in my collection and will hopefully be published one day (that would be book 2; got to finish book 1 first!)
 Three tiny cloches containing winter scenes, 3.5 inches tall.
 A new strawberry pincushion (left) to join my other one (right).
 Antique kitchen tools to join my collection.  Wooden and metal mashers and butter paddles.  Can somebody tell me what are butter paddles for? 
I had a great day--shopping local, buying handmade and antique.  No batteries included or required.





 

9 comments:

  1. DH remembers his grandma using one in a large crock to work the cream into a ball of butter. Check out a living history site. You might get a demo. He says she had one of those jars with the paddles to make butter but he does not remember her ever using it. Me, all I ever saw was someone mixing the color into the margarine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The paddles are for shaping the butter into shape. They pat the sides and turn the butter over with it so you get a nice block of butter.

    Love your purchases and great thing none of them need batteies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like the perfect kind of day to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ann! What a fun relaxing trip! I love those kind of little shops! The paddles are also for working the buttermilk out of the butter. When cream is churned, there is butter and buttermilk. For butter to stay fresher longer, the butter is rinsed in very cold water and then "worked" and rinsed until all the butter milk is out of the butter. I have my great grandmother's paddle and bowl (a large wooden one) and I still churn my own butter and work it the old fashioned way! What wonderful treasures you have found!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet post Ann...thank you. I am so glad that I met you - and am happy you are enjoying your purchases. Keep working on that book - sounds so great. XO, Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is my kind of shopping! I did some internet purchases...don't like the crowds and the lines...

    ReplyDelete
  7. On Black Friday last year I went to a small jewelry store to get a charm for my Pandora bracelet, and then went to my favorite quilt store about an hour away. Wasn't feeling well this year. Had hubby stop at the jewelry store for my charm this year. No quilt store visits since there's an event coming up on the 7th.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Ann for your kind comments - I appreciate it! Since ticking is my favorite (red too!) the pillow looks great with the other one! Love your mini quilt! You had some g great finds. Looking forward to seeing what you have at the Folk Art Sale!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like those strawberries. Makes me want a pint of real ones as I love to eat them.

    ReplyDelete