Monday, August 18, 2014

...make lemonade

One of the things I love about quilting is if I don't like the way a quilt turns out, I can change it.  With an antique quilt as inspiration, I made this straight furrows log cabin with a piano key border.  All those little pieces...all that work...and I didn't like it.  The border was wavy and the quilt didn't lay flat.  And frankly, it was a bit overwhelming.  I let it sit for a while, but had to face the music and do something about it.  Did I mention, I had already quilted it?

So as they say, when you have lemons, make lemonade.  I cut off the binding and then carefully removed the piano key boarders (which fortunately only had quilting stitches in the ditch).  I rebound what was left and ended up with this:

 Of course I couldn't waste those boarders (each piece is 1/2 wide!).  Here is what I did with them:


This one still needs to be quilted, but I am happy.  Two quilts for the price of one.

11 comments:

  1. Nice remake! I would have been happy to take the first version off your hands :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice change, I sort of like the first version and I don’t think I would have had the patience to redo it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute and very smart. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great way to save your lovely piano key borders. And now you have two minis to love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great way to "fix" the quilt you weren't happy with. I like the strippy second quilt a lot too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful results with both of the little quilts! Just got your new book and it too is Wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my. You actually took off the border after it was quilted. You ended up with a good quilt. A very antique look quilt. Much your style.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked the first version, it is so colorful. It is neat that you were able to take off the piano key border and make it into a second quilt. That is great to get two quilts that you like!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea. I have a doll quilt I'm not happy with, and I think removing the final border might just solve the problem. Good use of those piano keys!

    ReplyDelete