Monday, May 16, 2011

Antique Crib Quilt

Just hung this beauty up in the quilt lab. It is an early crib quilt, dating to 1830-1850. Maybe someone out there can help me pin down the date better.  The chintz border is just beautiful.

 The bright blue leaves are actually a repaired area.  The repairs were done so well, that I didn't notice them at first.  They are possibly done with period chintz.




 I took a funny angle shot to try to show the quilting; the motifs in the setting squares are not all the same.
The brown backing fabric has deteriorated.

8 comments:

  1. Very interesting! I'm wondering how you will repair or preserve the backing. ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty crib quilt. The border fabric is gorgeous. Like Love, I am interested if you will do something to the back or just leave it as is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite a find. The quilting is gorgeous!

    Liri

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice little quilt. The chintz is gorgeous. Hope that you will be able to date it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy, yummy. Something about the chintz border reminds me of a Quilting for the Cause fabric, but I cannot but my finger on it. Hope you date it and reproduce it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't help you with the dating but it sure is a beautiful find even if it is in rough condition. The chintz border is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The border is really pretty. The quilting looks amazing. Hope you can find out more about the fabric.

    ReplyDelete