Saturday, April 10, 2010

Rug Hooking...I said I'd never do it...

but I took a class today from my friends Mary Jo and Karl Gimber.  The beginning rug hooking class was offered at the Mennonite Heritage Center in Harleysville, PA. 
I love the stone walls in this building.

Mary Jo and Karl are very active members of the Hunterdon Rug Guild in New Jersey.  They are really great teachers, very patient and encouraging.
Here they are showing some of their beauiful rugs.



Most of their work is primitive and often inspired by old tavern signs. 
Here are some of the other items, mats, pillows and 3 dimensional objects that they brought to show us.


And here is the project they taught us.  My version of it, anyway.  It is supposed to be a small log cabin mat.

I had to put some cheddar in it of course.  Here is mine at the end of the 6 hour class!

OK, so I am a little slow!  We each were given a flower pin that Mary Jo made to take home.

And I got a special surprise when Mary Jo asked my to adopt her hooked cat and take it home.  Of course I did!

I enjoyed my time in the class, but I need a lot of practice.  I don't think rug hooking will replace quilting for me any time soon.

10 comments:

  1. I suppose the moral of the story is never say 'never". I do believe that everything you learn is never wasted and could contribute to your quilt making in some way. I do know that I will never get a tattoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no doubt you will do well with rug hooking. I think it will fit in with the primitive things you love so much! I'm pretty sure I will never try it! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any hooked rug you finish will fit right in with your collections. Good for you for trying something new.
    -Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow the rugs are beautiful! I've often considered trying it out, but my quilting addiction is too consuming! I'm sure your rug will come out great :) Christine

    ReplyDelete
  5. All that show-and-tell at the class could inspire anyone. And I'm jealous you got to take that wonderful kitty home! I'd love to try rug hooking, but until I find a few more days in my week, I'm going to stick with just quilting. Your little log cabin looks great so far!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always fun to try something new. Your log cabin looks great so far and I love the kitty you got to take home. It is really cute. I have tried all kinds of arts and crafts but always come back to sewing. I just love fabric. I know that since I have tried many different things and decided they were not for me. Enjoy your little rug even if you never make another one, it's the experience that counts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What wonderful rugs. Your project looks great. I think any primitive rug would lok great in your house.
    I took a class on the toothbrush rug and now I teach the class. It will never surpass quilting as a favorite. It is fun to try new things. I hope we will see yor little rug finished at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lucky you this is something I have always wanted to learn how to do.
    one thing that has held me back is the collecting of wool that would start happening!
    LOL
    where would I put it????
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hooray! And welcome to the rug hooking world! Be beware! I do more hooking than quilting these days - I love, love, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It always good to learn something new. Now you can say you have tried it. How wonderful to receive the cat - he's a cutie. Ann :-)

    ReplyDelete