Saturday, June 26, 2010

It's hot outside, but things are cooking in the quilt lab...


It's too hot to go outside and pull weeds.  Too bad, I have to stay inside and sew.  I've been wanting to reproduce this doll quilt from the book Childhood Treasures.  I played around with the size a bit, deciding on a 2 inch finished hourglass unit.  Huge, I know!  I had to start with 3.5 inch squares.  Oh my goodness.  It's so hard to sew with such large squares!
This is the first blue I tried for the sashing.
Then I changed my mind and will use this instead.  It's not quite as bright.

As usual with me, one quilt leads to another.  I made this block with the small rejects from my first attempt at hitting a size I liked. 
That will become a quilt with 9 of those blocks. And these blocks will make nice ornaments.  This is a good thing, because I just got an order for 40 ornaments from the museum shop in Doylestown.  I have until November (phew).  I then remembered a quilt I made a few years ago and decided I wanted to make it again.   These color combination will make for good ornaments too.
The creative juices are flowing now.  See the mess, that's a sure sign.

14 comments:

  1. Looks like so much fun!~I'd love to be there "playing" in your fabric with you!!! :)
    Yes, VERY hot here also!
    If anyone is interested, my giveaway is still going until midnite tonite! Signed copy of CITY QUILTS!!!! Come on over... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colors...I'm envious of the red paisley...and congrats on the museum order (I think)! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its oohhh so sad that its too hot to weed! haha! Your quilt looks beautiful! I love that blue fabric. :) Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blue looks good. I love the little pink and red one too. I must say though.... I could make a much bigger mess. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like the heat is an important element of your creativity. The results are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If heat is the energizer, why am I not more productive? It's hot as you know where here in Texas! As usual, I love your little quilts! They are so bright and cheerful! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  7. You certainly know how to bring all those fabrics together in terrific combinations. A lovely quilt! Ann :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the little quilts and congrats on the ornament order. You are making out very well. Too hot to weed the garden here, too.

    Liri

    ReplyDelete
  9. always fun to see what your working on.
    next time I am in Doylestown I will check out the museum shop!
    love those ornaments!
    thats not really much of a mess :) I see treasures
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's nothing like a fun pile of repro scraps to get the creativity going!! I love everything you're working on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a good recipe you cooked up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your quilts are beautiful but I love everything you create! Enjoy that heat, it's a good excuse to stay in and sew!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on the order for more ornaments;) That's good stuff;) I love seeing fabric spilled out all over the place...it's a sign of creation happening;)
    Happy Quilting!!

    ReplyDelete