Sunday, May 2, 2010

Quilt Field Trip-Part I

I spent a great day yesterday with one of my quilting buddies.  We take quilt-related field trips 3 or 4 times a year; there are so many things to see in Southeastern PA we never run out of places to go.  Yesterday we hit two venues--the Historical Society of Cocalico Valley in Ephrata which is showing the privy bag exhibit.  AND the quilt and textile museum in Lancaster where they have a new show called:

The lovely people at the Cocalico Valley Historical society allowed me to take pictures of the privy bag exhibit and I will share some of them with you today.  This exhibit is a once-in-a-lifetime experience for those interested in antique PA quilts.  I am not sure that these rare bags will be seen again together in public.  Go soon--it ends May 15!  These pieced and applique hanging bags are quite rare to see, so to find so many in one place was amazing.  They range from the simple homespun

To the not-so-simple fine applique.

Some of the bags are dated and signed.  The earliest example was from the 1830's; the latest from the 1920's.  Enjoy the rest of the photos.  I will be posting more later.






7 comments:

  1. Wow! Now I fell the need to dress up my bathroom somehow, perhaps a patchwork spare toilet paper roll cover? :) -Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun trip! I love how the bags look hanging together. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so lucky to be within driving distance of all this amazing history! Ann :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of the bags are just beautiful! Thanks for sharing your field trip with those of us too far away to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a terrific day out! I'd love to see the privy bags in person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful exhibit of privy bags. thanks for sharing your photos. Such a variety.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a Show!! Thanks for sharing! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete